of the people, by the people and for the people

  1. home
  2. About Dongjak
  3. History
  4. History of Dongjak
  1. home
  2. About Dongjak
  3. History
  4. History of Dongjak

History of Dongjak


  • Dongjak-gu was separated from Gwanak-gu on April 1, 1980 and became the 17th Gu of Seoul Metropolitan Government. Its name was originated from Dongjaegi Naruteo and its long history has been associated with Hangang River.
  • Hangang River, running through the center of the Korean peninsula, is Korea's lifeline and the source of its history and culture. In particular, the adjacent areas of Hangang River have been the important base for the Korean people since prehistoric times. Hangang River has provided abundant resources to Koreans and has played an important role as the gateway to China.

History in chronological order

Before Unified Silla

  • According to “Sin dongguk yeoji seungnam”, King Jangsu conquered the downstream area of Hangang River in 475. It is assumed that King Jangsu installed Ingbeolno-hyeon from the west of Noryangjin to Gwangmyeong-si and Yulmok-gun from the east of Noryangjin to Anyang, Gwacheon. After Unification of the Three Kingdoms, Ingbeolno-hyeon was renamed as Gogyang-hyeon, and Yulmok-gun as Yuljin-gun. Gogyang was a highly productive agricultural land and Yuljin was famous for its chestnut trees and the Dojinchon around Noryangjin.

Goryeo Dynasty

  • After Gogyang-hyeon had been reorganized as Geumju and Yuljin-gun as Gwaju, Geumju and Gwaju became part of Annamdohobu and Gwangjumok as one of the policies of centralization in King Hyeonjong's 9th year of reign (1018). However, officers were not dispatched so they remained as self-governing districts.

Joseon Dynasty

  • Once Hanyang was designated as the capital city of Joseon, Dongjak with its Nodeulgang River (Hangang River) became the gateway to Hanseong, which connects Samnam regions. As Dongjaeginaru and Nodeulnaru became further developed, more and more people and resources were gathered in and the area became the center of social economy and a strategic military point. In King Sukjong's 29th year of reign (1703), the military post (Byeolljang) under the command of Geumwiyeong was installed in this area.
  • Geumju and Gwaju were reorganized as Geumcheon-hyeon and Gwacheon-hyeon in King Taejong's 16th year of reign (1416). Later, they were integrated into Siheung-hyeon in King Jeongjo's 19th year of reign (1795).
  • King Jeongjo who was extremely devoted to his parents visited Hyeollyungwon Temple in Suwon every year. For his visit, he built a boat bridge by connecting large boats summoned from all over the country. It was a big national event and festival, participated in by a great number of soldiers. At this time, the Construction Office responsible for the boat bridge and Yongyangbongjeojeong Pavilion for the King's rest were built in present-day Bon-dong where Nodeulnaru were located in. Siheung-gu became more important and the road connecting from Noryangjin to Suwon was built.

Late 18th century

  • As free commerce and trading prospered in the late 18th century, the river merchants flourished as well. As a result, the population of Hanseong rapidly increased and the roads connecting Suwon and Hanseong and Dongjaeginaruteo's Dojinchon Village greatly flourished.
  • After Gabogyeongjang, the eight-Doje system was reorganized as the 23-Buje system and this area was included in Gwacheon-gun and Siheung-gun, Incheon-bu, divided by Jangseungbaegi as a boundary. During the Japanese colonial era, Dongjak-gu, Gwanak-gu, and Yeongdeungpo-gu were incorporated into Siheung-gun. In 1936, it was transferred to Gyeongseong-bu Yeongdeungpo Office.

After the liberation of Korea

  • When part of Siheung-gun, Gimpo-gun, and Bucheon-gun were incorporated into Yeongdeungpo-gu and Gwanak-gu was separated form Yeongdeungpo-gu in 1973, Dongjak-gu was included in Gwanak-gu. On April 1, 1980, Dongjak-gu was finally separated from Gwanak-gu and began to develop as a beautiful and dynamic city

Dongjak-gu Map